One of the biggest industries in Australia right now is community services. As a result, there is a significant need for positions in the community services sector, particularly for case managers, youth workers, and social services specialists.
As per the National Industry Insights survey, Health Care and Social Assistance are the largest employing industries in Australia. Nearly 1.7 million individuals were employed in this sector in 2018, and by 2023, that number is expected to rise to almost 1.9 million.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Community Services Worker
Individuals working in the field of community services typically deal with those who are most in need, such as those who may be going through domestic violence, poverty, or other types of adversity. The community service job is to offer assistance in a variety of ways, including temporary housing, food assistance, counselling, health clinics, childcare, elderly care, and many other things.
Areas of Community Services
Community Services offers a wide range of job opportunities. Areas of the community services sector in Australia include:
- Aged care and disability services
- Family services
- Indigenous and multicultural supported
- Asylum seekers and refugee services
- Emergency relief
- Mental health and counselling
- Youth justice
- Child protection
- Housing and community development
As a community worker, you need to have strong communication skills and resilience. You also need to learn how to work with others and handle a team.
Apart from the above, a few of the challenging roles you can expect to take on:
- Working with Youth – A career as a youth worker can be a good fit for you if you appreciate assisting kids and teenagers in realising their potential and achieving success. As a youth worker, it will be your job to develop programmes that help young people with their social, behavioural, educational, and employment requirements, as well as to offer them support and direction.
- Alcohol and Drug Rehabilitation – A drug and alcohol support worker offer counselling to help people maintain a healthy way of life while also helping them recover from addiction. Assessing a patient’s health as they recover, giving them information and resources, and patient listening without passing judgement are just a few of your duties. If you enjoy helping people overcome addiction, this could be a wonderfully fulfilling career for you to pursue.
- If You are Passionate About Social Justice – A career in community services can be extremely satisfying for someone who is passionate about social justice. You need to be patient and maintain a positive mindset because community service might be difficult at times. If you are truly committed to this goal, though, the difficulties will never outweigh the satisfaction of knowing that you are having a significant impact on the lives of the less fortunate.
The next concern is how to become a Community Services worker given the wealth of advantages and career options that are now clear to you. However, if you have any queries on how to obtain a diploma in community services or for community services career pathways you can talk to our counsellor.
Related Blog: Choose a Career in Australia’s Most Secure Job Industry